Setting off as a couple?

It’s advisable to make thorough enquires concerning customs in the country and the practices of the host institution in this respect.

 In many countries where a visa is required, the couple must be married for the partner to be granted a visa entitling them to an extended stay. Otherwise, they will only receive a tourist visa. What’s more, certain visas prohibit the spouse from working or only authorise them to do so under certain conditions. When negotiating a postdoctoral appointment, it’s worth discussing this with the host institution to find out what can be done to facilitate the spouse’s stay and professional integration.

Measures are proposed to encourage the mobility of couples in which both partners are pursuing an academic career.